Ballston Spa Village Cemetery Tour, July 21, 2018
David Fisk, local historian and author lead the tour focused on business leaders of Ballston Spa.
Prior to the tour, John Cromie, a member of the board of the Ballston Spa Village Cemetery, gave a quick summary of the cemetery’s history, and distributed literature about it. The walk, visited the grave sites of five individuals who had roles in the village’s business community. Isaiah Bloodhad factories on the Kayderosseras that manufactured high-quality axes and scythes. George Westowned a number of mills in the region, including mills near the present Route 50 bridge over the creek, which turned out paper and paper bags. Fred Bischofflater purchased those mills, converting some of the facilities to produce cocoa and chocolate products. Bischoff also tore down the old mill on the north side of the Kayderosseras and created a park for the use of the public. Floyd Shuttsmoved his sock-making operation from Amsterdam to Ballston Spa, and built a mansion near the boundary of Milton and Saratoga Springs (which most recently has been used as the Villa Balsamo restaurant). Donald K. Stewart was a tea and coffee salesman as a young man, but later, along with his father–a former grocer–ran a dairy business that bottled and delivered milk and, later on, made ice cream. In 1944 members of the Dake family bought the company and have expanded it into the present chain of convenience stores
BAHR meeting at Brookside Museum June 28, 2018
Saratoga County offers many resources for researching local history and genealogy. A sampling of those resources were on display at a recent meeting of the Ballston Area History Roundtable at Brookside Museum in Ballston Spa. Five historians presented a brief overview of their collections in repositories in Ballston Spa and Saratoga Springs. See the July 2018 blog for details of the presentations and links to these historical resources.
BAHR May 24th
- The meeting was attended by 24 people
- How to engage younger people
- Support organization basket-proceeds go to Brookside or any other location we use to meet
- Lending Library-anyone willing to lend?
- Looking for Blogs and research topics
- Looking for old pictures to share on website and Facebook
- Links to historical societies
- June 28th meeting-researching local collections-5 people are scheduled to speak
- Pending village cemetery walk through-July? Dave Fiske
- Heritage Award September 20th at the Simpson Methodist Church-interested in making historical church talk?
- Any old pictures? Brookside can scan photos for copies
- August-Archeology Camp-8/3
- Discussed the idea of a local history journal – cited articles published on-line and possibility accumulated and printed periodically. Paul Perrault and Jim Richmond lead
- Saratoga Neighborhood history walk
- ‘This Old House’ Talks
Jim presented for Mary Ann Fitzgerald-”Dublin” House History
Alan Maddaus-The Preston Family-Genealogy
John Cromie-Historic House and Floor Plans
Voting for upcoming programs:
Local War Heroes – 17
Slaves of Saratoga County – 13
19th C Family Life – 13
Local Legal Cases – 11
Mills in Conflict – 10
Show and Tell night – 9
Medical History of Ballston – 7
Folklore – Legends or legitimate? – 7